Flashcards in 43: Diabetic Pt Behavior - Bennett Deck (14):
big three complications of diabetes
foot and leg amputation
reasons for poor quality of life
- change in lifestyle of individual and family
- loss of social role
- reduce social activities
how many diabetics are undiagnosed?
8.1 million or 27.8% of diabetic pop.
leading cause of amputation
why are diabetics at a higher risk for further breakdown post-amputation?
gait and foot mechanics have changed
5 yr mortality rate after new onset of diabetic foot ulceration =
up to ______ with LE amputation
because of the increased cardiovascular risks post amputation
these rates are higher than a lot of cancers
principles of ulcer management
2. vascular supply
4. off loading
5. wound management
6. wound closure
7. management of medical comorbidities
successful management needs to address _______ and ______
pts mental status
3 requirements for successful amputation
1. remove all necrotic, painful or infected tissue
2. must be able to fit amputation stump with a functional and easily applied prosthesis
3. blood supply at the level of proposed amputation must be sufficient to allow primary skin healing
major factors to consider for amputation level
- medical and mental status of pt
what joints are amputated with choparts?
do amputees go through the grieving process?
successful management needs to address pts __________ and _______