Flashcards in 8. Anatomy of femoral triangle and canal Deck (34)
* Alternative name
Alternative name for Femoral Triangle
SITE of Femoral Triangle
Occupies the front of the upper 1/3 of the thigh just below the inguinal ligament.
BOUNDARIES of Femoral Triangle
Lateral BOUNDARIES of Femoral Triangle
Medial border of sartorius muscle
Medial BOUNDARIES of Femoral Triangle
Medial border of adductor longus muscle.
Base BOUNDARIES of Femoral Triangle
Poupart's ligament ( inguinal ligament )
Apex BOUNDARIES of Femoral Triangle
Meeting of sartorius and adductor longus muscles
Floor BOUNDARIES of Femoral Triangle
From medial to lateral :
1. Adductor longus muscle.
2. Pectineus muscle.
3. Psoas major muscle.
4. iliacus muscle.
Roof BOUNDARIES of Femoral Triangle
2. Superficial fascia consisting of fatty layer and membranous layer.
3. Deep fascia containing the saphenous opening covered by the cribriforrn fascia
CONTENTS of Femoral Triangle
1) Femoral artery & its branches.
2) Femoral vein & its tributaries.
3) Femoral sheath
4) Femoral branch of genito-femoral nerve
5) Femoral nerve & its branches
6) Deep group inguinal L.N.
7) Lateral cutaneous nerve of thigh
Femoral sheath in CONTENTS of Femoral Triangle
Definition of Femoral sheath in CONTENTS of Femoral Triangle
a sheath surrounding the upper 4 cm of the femoral vessels.
Composition of Femoral sheath in CONTENTS of Femoral Triangle
Anterior wall is formed by the fascia transversalis
Posterior wall is formed by the fascia iliacas
Compartments of Femoral sheath in CONTENTS of Femoral Triangle
* The most medial compartment is the Femoral canal
* The intermediate compartment is occupied by the femoral vein.
* The lateral compartment is occupied by the femoral artery.
Site of Femoral branch of genito-femoral nerve in CONTENTS of Femoral Triangle
* in front of the femoral artery
* inside the femoral sheath
Site of Femoral nerve & its branches in CONTENTS of Femoral Triangle
* Outside the femoral sheath
Site of Lateral cutaneous nerve of thigh in CONTENTS of Femoral Triangle
in the upper lateral angle of the triangle
* SHAPE & SIZE :
SITE of Femoral Canal
It is the most medial compartment of the femoral sheath.
SHAPE & SIZE of Femoral Canal
Cone shaped 1 1/2 cm (1/2 inch) long
CONTENTS of Femoral Canal
Fat, lymphatic vessels and lymph node of Cloquet.
FUNCTION of Femoral Canal
Gives space for expansion of the femoral vein during increased venous return with lower limb exercise
The femoral ring
Definition of The femoral ring
Base of the femoral canal
Boundaries of The femoral ring
Anterior Boundaries of The femoral ring
Inguinal ligament (Poupart's ligament)
Posterior Boundaries of The femoral ring
Pectineal ligament (Cooper's ligament).
Medial Boundaries of The femoral ring
Lacunar ligament (Gimbernat's ligament).