Flashcards in Acid Reaction Deck (12):
Acids are highly toxic substances. They can corrode metals usually making them into a salt and hydrogen gas.
Although formally known as sodium chloride in this case it means any compound.
Rule for acid reaction with metal
Acid and metal produce a salt and hydrogen gas
Acid and bases can neutralise each other when mixed forming a harmless substances.
Rule for neutralisation
Acid and base produces a salt and water.
Explain acids and carbonates.
When the base is a carbonate the reaction between it an acid produces carbon dioxide, a salt and water
Rule for acid and carbonates
Acid and carbonate produces a salt, water and carbon dioxide.
- occurs when one reactant breaks down into two or more products.
AB _> A+B
Explain synthesis/ combination
- where two elements can react to form a new compound in A+B _> AB
- are exothermic as reactants have more energy than products
- heat and light produced
- oxygen is always required
- can complete or incomplete
- a series of bushfires as an example
- classified as an oxidation reaction
•methane + oxygen gas -> carbon dioxide + water vapour
• CH4 + 2O2 -> CO2 + 2H2O
- are tablets that contain bases that are able to neutralise acids. For example using them for heartburn