Flashcards in Adventure Deck (16):
/əˈkʌmpəni/ - v
accompany somebody (formal): to travel or go somewhere with somebody
- His wife accompanied him on the trip.
/ɪnˈkaʊntə(r)/ - v
encounter something to experience something, especially something unpleasant or difficult, while you are trying to do something else
trải nghiệm những thứ khó khăn
- We encountered a number of difficulties in the first week.
/ˌriːˈʃedjuːl/ or /ˌriːˈskedʒuːl/- v
/ˈʃedjuːl/ - n
to change the time at which something has been arranged to happen
- The meeting has been rescheduled for next week.
/ˈventʃə(r)/ - v
to go somewhere even though you know that it might be dangerous or unpleasant
They ventured nervously into the water.
/ˈtʃælɪndʒ/ - n
- The role will be the biggest challenge of his acting career.
/aɪˈtɪnərəri/ - n
a plan of a journey, including the route and the places that you visit
- We have a detailed itinerary for the coming trip.
/ˈdʒɜːni/ - n
an act of travelling from one place to another, especially when they are far apart
- They went on a long train journey across India.
/ˈdrɪəri/ - adj
that makes you feel sad; dull and not interesting
thê lương, buồn bã
- a dreary winter’s day
- a dreary film
- a long and dreary journey on the train
/ɪnˈtens/ - adj
very great; very strong
dữ dội, mãnh liệt
- intense heat/cold/pain
- The President is under intense pressure to resign.
/ˈpɪvətl/ - adj
of great importance because other things depend on it
then chốt, mấu chốt
- This is a pivotal role in the company
/prəˈfaʊnd/ - adj
= intense, very great; felt or experienced very strongly
thâm thuý, uyên thâm =
- profound changes in the earth’s climate
- My father's death had a profound effect on us all.
/ˈvæljuəbl/ - adj
valuables - (has 's' at the end)
- a valuable experience
- put all your valuables in the hotel safe
/dɪˌtɜːmɪˈneɪʃn/ - n
to determinate - v - định rõ, quyết tâm
he quality that makes you continue trying to do something even when this is difficult
- Sự quyết tâm
- He fought the illness with courage and determination.
/əbˈteɪn/ - v
obtain something to get something, especially by making an effort
- to obtain information/permission
/ˈemfəsaɪz/ - v
to give special importance to something
- His speech emphasized the importance of attracting industry to the town.