Flashcards in AOS2 Chapter 6 (Workplace Relations) Deck (19):
Workplace relations- what is it?
- Concerned about the relationship between an employee and employer contractually, physically, emotionally and practically
What are employee's objectives?
- Make an income
- Career Advancement
- Job security
What are unions?
- An organisation to represent and protect the rights of the employees within a particular industry
Shop stewards- what are they and what they do?
- Locally elected union official who represents employees at the actual workplace
- Can be contacted straight away for:
• Contract bargaining
Contract bargaining- what is it?
- Process that accounts hours, wage, rules and working condition
- Negotiated between an union and employer which can be agreed upon for all employees whom the union represents
What are business' objectives?
- Make a profit
- Increase market share
- Fulfil market/social need
Roles of employers?
- Employees pay and working conditions meet national minimum standard
- Provide a safe and healthy workplace
- Comply with legal regulations
Employer associations- what are they and what they do?
- Groups of employers who unite to promote their common interests as well as share information, advice and support for each other
- Provides services like:
• Business consulting
• Policy development
Types of employer associations- what are they and examples?
- Industry associations:
• Made up of employers from same industry
• Master Builders Australia
- Professional associations:
• Made up of members of a profession
• Australian Medical Association
- Broad-based or peak bodies
• Made up of employees from varied industry types
• Victoria Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Human Resource Management objectives- what are they?
- To keep the peace and ensure both sets of objectives are achieved
Role of an employee in a business?
- Perform duties with care and diligence
- Follow safety procedures
- Account with all money received and property
Human Resource Managers- what are they and what they do?
- Involved with the ongoing management of the employee-employer relationship
- Their role includes:
• Acts as a mediator between the interests of employers and employees
• Negotiates with employees on issues of pay and work conditions
Fair Work Commission- what are they and what they do?
- Australia’s national workplace tribunal or industrial court
- Has the power to make legal decisions and orders to make workplace relations
- Responsible for:
• Maintaining and creating safety nets for minimum wages and working condition
• Provides assistance with resolving workplace disputes
• Provides support for fair enterprise bargaining
Awards- what is it?
- Legally binding minimum requirements for wages and conditions in specific industries
- This may include:
• Minimum wages
• Working conditions and overtime
• Meal breaks
Agreements- what is it?
- Made between one or more employees with their chosen trade union representatives as well as two or more employers
- Tailored to meet the needs of employees and employers
- This may follow this criteria:
• No unlawful terms included
• Agreement runs for up to four years
• Dispute settlement procedure included
Grievance procedure- what is it?
- A policy that is implemented if there is conflict between an employee and employer within a workplace
- The five steps are:
• Employee and/or shop steward present complaint to manager
• Also represented to the employer
• Discussed with HRM, manager acts as mediator
• Referred to FWC for dispute resolution
• Referred for Arbitration
Mediation- what is it?
- Where an independent third party known as a mediator help both parties talk about the issue and find an agreement themselves
- There can be conciliation approach where they make their own suggestions the mediator about how it can be resolved
Arbitration- what is it?
- A method where the problem is resolved by an independent third party by listening to both sides of the disputes then making a decision which is legally binding for both parties
- This is done by the FWC and decision is made by the Commissioner in the tribunal