Flashcards in Approaches In Psychology Deck (2)
Humanistic approach AO1
- Looks at individuals to understand behaviour as everyone is unique.
- People have free will and are active agents in determining their futures.
- Everyone needs to meet their full potential (self-actualisation).
- A hierarchy of needs has to be fulfilled to self-actualise, with the bottom of the hierarchy being biological needs. (Maslow)
- Distance between self concept (actual self) and ideal self has to be in congruency/close to each other, otherwise self esteem will be low and individual cannot self actualise. (Rogers)