Flashcards in Attitudes, Stigma, and Prejudice Deck (10):
What is a definition of a stereotype?
Cognitive Shortcuts involving distortions or over generalizations.
What are the 5 components of Ethnocentrism?
1. Tendency to see own culture as "natural/correct"
2. Perceive own cultural customs as universally valid.
3. Behave in ways that favor own cultural group.
4. Proud of own cultural group.
5. Hostile toward other cultural groups.
Easy way to organize information. Not always valid.
In group/Out group bias
Groups treat outsiders differently and often negatively.
The myth that if you're good, you get rewarded, bad punished. The privileged begin to think they have privilege because they deserve it.
Fundamental Attribution Error
The tendency to attribute negative behaviors of others to their personality traits. In the meantime, we attribute our own behaviors to our environment and situational factors.
What do attitudes predict?
Strong predictors of behavior (+/- feelings; sentiments)
A sign, like a mark or brand. Ebola patient, borderline personality disorder.
Attitude toward a group.