Flashcards in Autoflight Deck (20):
(All) Which roll modes are affected by the Bank Angle Select Knob?
• Bank Angle Select Knob sleeve provides selection of bank limits for HDG HLD, HDG SEL, and VOR.
• AOB limiting is inhibited in LOC CAP & FMS NAV modes.
Note: During FMS NAV mode operations, AOB limit is 15° if NAV is engaged, slats are extended and airspeed < AFMC computed minimum speed.
When do auto throttles engage in Clamp (CLMP) Mode?
• Aircraft is on the ground for > 20 sec with autothrottle in EPR mode and airspeed > 60 KIAS.
• If IAS or MACH mode is selected while in flight with auto throttles engaged in VERT SPD, ALT HOLD, SPD SEL or MACH SEL modes.
(88, 90) In IAS/MACH mode, how are pitch changes related to throttle movement?
IAS or Mach mode is engaged by pushing IAS MACH button.
• PFD displays FD commands to maintain selected Mach or indicated airspeed and AP (if engaged) will adjust pitch attitude to maintain selected speed.
(88, 90) Function of the IAS MACH Pitch Mode Select Button:
• Selects existing IAS (below 27,000feet) or Mach (above 27,000 feet and above .5 Mach) for DFGS pitch mode.
• Using pitch to control speed is indicated by an "S" (airspeed) or "M" (Mach) symbol and desired airspeed or Mach respectively.
(88, 90) In VERT SPD and ALT HLD modes, how is airspeed controlled?
- Airspeed is controlled by autothrottles which are programmed by SPD/MACH select knob.
- SPD SEL or MACH SEL can be engaged during any phase of flight except when TO, GA or TO FLX is selected on TRP or retard mode is engaged.
• With autothrottle in SPD SEL or MACH SEL mode, auto-throttles seek and maintain reference Speed/Mach selected in SPD/MACH window except when Alpha speed reference is higher.
(All) What are the indications when autothrottles are disconnected?
• THROTTLE Warning Light (red) flashes
• Pushing autothrottle disconnect button on either throttle or re-selecting AUTO THROT switch to AUTO THROT position extinguishes light.
(88, 90) What are the conditions and indications when the autopilot is disconnected?
The AP is disengaged and the red AP warning light on FMA flashes in the following conditions:
• AP switch is off
• AP malfunction is detected
• DFGC switch is moved from selected position
• AUTOPILOT REL button on either control wheel is pushed
• Primary horizontal stabilizer trim is manually operated
• Activation of the stick pusher.
- In addition, flashing AP light is accompanied by aural and vocal warnings in all AP disengagements.
- Loss of electrical power will also disengage the autopilot, however, with NO warning light and NO vocal warning
(88, 90) What is the meaning of ALFA SPD annunciation in the throttle window of the FMA?
• Alpha speed is a safe margin above stall speed.
• Throttles are controlled to seek and maintain Alpha speed reference indicated by the Fast/Slow display on the PFD
• ALFA SPD mode is engaged automatically when autothrottle is in SPD SEL or MACH SEL mode and selected SPD/MACH value is less than safe minimum airspeed for existing slat/flap configuration.
(88, 90) Describe Flight Mode Annunciator (FMA) windows:
The four FMA windows are (from left to right):
• FMA Thrust Window (green) Displays existing autothrottle mode.
• FMA Arm Window (amber) Displays armed mode for roll or pitch.
• FMA Roll Window (green) Displays existing roll mode.
• FMA Pitch Window (green) Displays existing pitch mode.
(88, 90) Explain how AUTOLAND mode of the auto flight system may be disarmed after autoland has been armed and both the localizer and glideslope are in the track mode:
Once the autoland has been armed and both the localizer and glideslope are in the track mode (LND, LOC/TRK, GS/TRK) the autoland may be disengaged by accomplishing any of the following:
• Disengage the autopilot
• Push the TOGA button(s)
• Detune the ILS frequency
(88, 90) Explain the pitch and roll commands given by flight director when TOGA is selected (during takeoff)
Pitch Commands During takeoff
• Command bar on PFD commands pitch attitude to maintain V2+10 for 2-engine operation.
Engine failure - pitch commands for one engine operation:
• If airspeed ≥ V2, command bar commands pitch att. to maintain V2.
• If airspeed is between V2 and V2+10, command bar commands pitch att. to maintain existing airspeed.
• If airspeed ≥ V2+10, command bar commands a pitch attitude to maintain V2+10.
Roll commands: After lift-off, roll command bar will command wings level to maintain heading.
(88, 90) Explain the pitch and roll commands given by the flight director when TOGA is selected during go around.
Pitch commands in go-around mode
• Command bar commands a pitch attitude to maintain DFGC computed go-around speed
- Airspeed at TOGA switch activation, but
- NLT 1.3 Vs + 5 or no greater than 1.3 Vs + 25 of the landing flap configuration)
• During go-around: Existing magnetic heading maintained and roll command bar commands wing level.
(88, 90) Understand the FMA annunciation CLMP and when it is displayed:
CLMP (Controls Locked Manual Power):
• ATS in CLMP mode.
• Power is removed from ATS servo (throttles remain stationary).
• In flight: Results from selecting IAS/MACH on FGCP.
• On ground: Airplane is on the ground > 20 sec with autothrottle in EPR mode and airspeed > 60 kts
(88, 90) Understand the FMA annunciation FMS SPD and when it is displayed:
• FMS SPD – (FMS VNAV mode engaged.) Throttles being controlled by FMS to maintain speed.
(88, 90) Meaning of FMA annunciation FMS EPR and when it is displayed:
• FMS EPR – (FMS VNAV mode engaged.) Throttles being controlled by FMS to maintain EPR.
(88, 90) What happens when HDG select knob is pushed in fully?
Pushed to Full Detent
• Engages heading hold mode.
• AP/FD either maintains existing heading - or-
• If AOB > 3°, rolls airplane wings level and maintains that heading.
(88, 90) What happens when HDG select knob is pushed to the first detent only?
Pushed to First Detent
• Provides fast rate of heading adjustment.
(88, 90) What happens when adjusting vertical speed during altitude capture? Other modes this applies to?
• Vertical speed rate adjustments during/after altitude capture disengages altitude capture mode
• Pitch control reverts to vertical speed mode.
• True for ALT CAP, ALT HLD, or VNAV modes
(88, 90) When can SPD SEL (Speed Select) Mode be engaged?
SPD SEL can be engaged in any phase of flt except when
• TO, GA or TO FLX is selected on TRP - or -
• Retard mode is engaged.