Flashcards in B5: Nervous System Deck (11):
How is information passed around the body?
Through electrical impulses.
What are the parts of the central nervous system?
The brain and the spinal cord.
What does the CNS do?
Coordinates response to stimuli.
What does the nervous system allow us to do?
Respond to stimuli/our environment.
What detects stimulus?
What are effectors?
All your muscles and glands.
What is an important property of nerves?
What is a synapse?
The junction between two nerves.
What do glands do?
Respond to nervous impulses and secrets hormones.
Explain how your body responds to stimulus.
1) stimulus - change in environment
2) receptor - detects stimuli
3) sensory neurones - carry info as electrical impulses from receptors to the CNS
4) CNS - coordinates response to stimuli
5) motor neurones - carry electrical impulses from the CNS to effectors
6) effector - respond to nervous impulses (muscles & glands)