Barry Kroll's writing development Flashcards
What are all of the stages of writing development?
Preparation > Consolidation > Differentiation > Integration
When is the preparation stage?
up to the age of 6
Outline the preparation stage
- basic motor skills
- some spelling principles understood
- some help to understand phoneme>grapheme correlation
What age is the consolidation stage?
What does the consolidation stage involve?
- writing similar to speech
- child’s personal experience
- casual register
- unfinished sentence
- simple conjunctions (and)
When is the differentiation stage?
Describe the differentiation stage
- a difference between writing and speaking
- aware speech and writing are different modes
- understands different writing for different audiences
When is the integration stage?
What does the integration stage involve?
- personal voice (opinion)
- controlled writing with consistently appropriate linguistic choices