Flashcards in Basic#13 Deck (12):
Upstate NY area along the Erie Canal was seedbed to political activism and reform fervor during 1830's.
- waves of reform that swept like forest fires
- Utopian communities/ new religions
- oneida community
- new harmony indiana
Founded the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, based on teachings of the Book of Mormon, which he claimed to have received from an angel in a vision.
- close cooperation and unity
- built in 1839
- 1844- polygamy doctrine is announced
- Smith & bros arrested and jailed by anti-polygamy mob
Female evangelist that spread the aslyum movement, that reformed the way insane people were treated.
- 1834 Dix & Massachusetts legislature
- 1834 & 1854 traveled 30,000 miles to publicize movement for human treatment
-by 1860- 28 states had public instituitoons for insane
Declaration of Sentiments
"No Irish Need Apply"
American Colonization Society
Sarah & Angelina Society
Charles G. Finney