Flashcards in BB AALA Ch12 NHP Deck (42)
1. True or False: Callitrichidae should only be fasted for 6-8 hours, other primates can be fasted for 12 hours.
2. True or False: The addition H2 receptor antagonists before induction protects against aspiration pneumonia in Papio species
3. True or False: Blow pipes and pump air guns are preferred over CO2 pistols because they are quieter and produce less tissue damage.
4. What vein is used to withdrawal relatively large blood volumes?
5. Which is not a common vascular access site?
a. Internal jugular vein
b. External jugular vein
c. Femoral vein
d. Femoral artery
e. Brachial vein
6. What are the two major problems associated with indwelling catheter systems?
loss of catheter patency and infection
7. What class of drugs have a wide margin of safety and are the most common choices for chemical restraint of research non-human primates?
c. Alpha 2 Agonists
8. What is VAP an acronym for?
Vascular Access Port
9. True or False: Ketamine is an analog of phencyclidine?
10. True or False: Laryngospasm is common during intubation after Ketamine administration.
11. True or False: Ketamine has no effect on daily feed intake in old world monkeys?
12. True or False: In squirrel monkeys, ketamine administration has shown to elevate estradiol and leutenizing hormone.
13. T/F When an anti-sialogogue is required, Atropine is selected rather than Glycopyrolate.
14. True or False: Ketamine/Xylazine administration allows endotracheal intubation in Pan troglodytes anesthesia.
15. Medetomidine sedation, analgesia, and muscle relaxation can be reversed with:
b (answer listed as c -LOOK UP)
16. True or False: Endotracheal intubation is possible with Ketamine/Medetomidine.
17. The advantages of Ketamine/Midazolam over Ketamine/Diazepam combination are all of the following except:
a. it is better absorbed after IM injection
b. provides more effective anxiolytic sedation
c. provides less Type 1 reactions
d. has a shorter elimination half life
18. Telazol is a 1:1 combination of the dissociative anesthetic ______________ and the benzodiazepine tranquilizer ________________.
Tiletamine and Zolazepam
19. True or False: Telazol causes a decrease in rectal temperature.
20. True or False: An advantage of Telazol over Ketamine is that its greater potency allows for administration of smaller volumes.
21. True or False: A noticeable side effect of propofol is the occurrence of apnea.
22. Which of the following anesthetics should be used in neurosurgical procedures in NHP’s because of minimal changes in CSF pressure:
23. What of the following is not a difficulty encountered with pentobarbital use?
a. respiratory depression
b. inability to modulate the depth of anesthesia
c. prolonged recovery period
24. Which muscle relaxant is preferred during cardiovascular studies in NHP’s ?
(LOOK UP - INCOMPLETE)
25. True or False: Laryngeal Mask Airways (LMA) is preferred over the mask for gas inhalation for macaques and chimps.
26. What is the most common site for cannulation in NHP’s?
a. External jugular vein---
b. Internal jugular vein
c. Femoral vein
d. Saphenous vein
27. What is the simplest method to ascertain adequacy of oxygenation?
color of the mucous membranes
28. True or False: The measurement of expired CO2 is the single most effective method of determining airway patency and adequacy of ventilation.
29. Increases in heart rate and systolic blood pressure of ____ % or more over baseline values can be interpreted as indications of an inadequate depth of anesthesia.
30. Which of the following is the drug of choice to treat isoflurane induced hypotension?
31. When the hematocrit of NHP’s drop below ____ they should have a transfusion?
d. none of the above
32. What is the safest vasopressor for use during maternal hypotension in NHP’s?
33. What should you treat isoflurane-induced hypotension in pediatric NHP’s with?
phenylephrine or norepinephrine infusion
34. The suckling reflex is used as one of the indicators for depth of anesthesia in neonatal nonhuman primates. What is it?
The suckling reflex is performed by placing a finger in the neonates mouth, which elicits suckling.
35. During laparascopic procedures, CO2 insufflation inflow rate should be maintained less than 2L/min to prevent which of the following:
a. mediastinal shift
b. hemodynamic compromise
c. increased end-tidal CO2
f. all of the above
36. Which anesthetic is recommended to achieve reliable sedation during MRI studies in NHP’s?
b. Pentobarbital CRI
c. Propofol CRI
37. What drug is used to reverse heparin anticoagulation?
38. All of the following NHP’s are susceptible to hypoglycemia except?
a. Squirrel monkey
c. Owl monkey
d. Common marmoset
39. The most common NSAID’s used in NHP’s are nonselective Cox inhibitors. These include all of the following except:
40. What is the most commonly used injectable opioid in NHP’s?
41. What is the opioid reversal agent?