Flashcards in Biodiversity And Classification Deck (23)
What is species diversity?
1. Variety of living organisms in a certain region
2. Variation of different organisms making up an ecosystem
What is genetic diversity?
1. Variety of genes within a species
2. Ensure survival of the species
What is ecological diversity?
1. Variety of ecosystems found on earth
What is a species?
1. Groups of similar organisms that can interbreed freely and produce fertile offspring
What is a keystone species?
1. An organism that plays an unusually large role in an ecosystem
2. Important in maintaining species diversity
3. Dies out= many other species die out
E.g. Protea for fynbos ecosystems
What is classification?
1. The system of grouping organisms together based on shared characteristics
What is taxonomy?
1. The science of classification
2. Grouping of organisms based on similarities/ shared characteristics, using:
What is nomenclature?
1. Naming of organisms
What is systematics?
1. Placing of organisms into groups
Who was Carolus Linnaeus?
1. Developed the Linnaen system of binomial nomenclature
What is the Linnaen system?
1. Greek & Latin (mutual languages) used
2. Uses the hierarchical system- genus
3. Both names underlined or written in italics
What is a binomial name?
1. Formal species name consisting of two parts
What is a genus name?
1. First part of the name
2. Capital letter first
What is a species name?
1. Second part of name
2. No capitals
What is classification essential for?
2. Describing & Placing
3. Arranging collections
4. Understanding relationships
5. Mapping Geographical & Ecological patterns
What are the classification keys?
4. Branched (tree)
5. Venn diagram
What is hierarchical classification?
1. A highly organized system made up of nested sets of increasing/ decreasing rank
2. Effective way of arranging large groups of objects-artificial
3. Objects can be easily added and found
What are nested sets?
1. Each level is more inclusive as you go up
What is a key?
1. Practical device used to name and classify unfamiliar organisms
2. Made of a series. Of written questions/ statements
3. Answers/ choices made in each step lead to final identification
What is biodiversity?
• the variety of living organisms on earth
What is a prokaryote?
1. No distinct nucleus
2. Lack of complex organelles
3. DNA is free in cytoplasm
4. All prokaryotes are called bacteria
What is a Eukaryote?
1. Has a distinct nucleus
2. Have complex organelles
3. DNA lies within nucleus
4. Protists, plants, fungi & animals are eukaryotes