Melting and freezing are both examples of...
changes of state
You are given 3 unknown solids.
Describe how you could identify the substances by using their melting points.
Heat each substance until they melt and record their melting points.
Look up the melting points of different solids on the internet.
Compare your melting point to the ones from the internet to identify the substance.
When a substance changes from a liquid to a solid we call it...
When a substance changes from a solid to a liquid we call it...
What is meant by the melting point of a substance?
The temperature that a substance begins to melt at.
What temperature does ice begin to melt at?
Describe what happens to water paricles when an ice cube melts.
- Water particles in ice are close and neatly arranged.
- The particles vibrate on the spot.
- As the particles in ice gain energy, they vibrate more and more.
- This happens until eventually they break away from their neat arrangement. This is called melting.
- The particles start to move about as a liquid.