Flashcards in Certified Beer Server Deck (44)
What would be an example of a visible residue on a beer glass?
Dried on foam or lipstick
What would be an example of an invisible residue on a beer glass?
Oil, detergent, sanitizer, dry beer
What does 'Beer Clean Glass' mean?
No visible or invisible residues on or in the beer glass.
What 3 things would a "Beer Clean Glass" show?
- No bubble sticking to side of the glass in the liquid part of the beer.
- Good head formation and prolonged retention.
- Formation of 'Lace" as beer is consumed.
Regarding General Freshness Guidelines, non-pasteurized draught beer will stay fresh while refrigerated for how long?
Regarding General Freshness Guidelines, pasteurized draught beer will stay fresh while refrigerated for how long?
Regarding General Freshness Guidelines, canned or bottled beer will stay fresh while refrigerated for how long?
up to 6 months
Regarding General Freshness Guidelines, if canned or bottled beer are not refrigerated or subjected to other stresses, how long will it remain fresh?
It will become noticeably off within 3 months.
How long do Hoppy styles of beer such as IPA's remain fresh when refrigerated?
Hoppy styles are more susceptible to the effects of time. They may show flavour changes within 3 months even when refrigerated.
What is the recommended beer storage temperature?
What temperature should never be exceeded for storage
It should never exceed 25℃ (77℉) as rapid flavour degradation will occur.
What is another name for the 'Skunky' flavour in beer and what causes it?
Also know as Lightstruck.
It is caused by sunlight, fluorescent light and most LED's
How does the colour of the glass of a beer bottle impact protection from lightstuck flavours?
- Brown glass blocks most of the wavelengths taht cause skunky flavours.
- Green glass blocks very little of the light that cuases skunky flavours.
- Clear glass offers no protection against skunking
What is the best type of gas to be used to dispense draught beer?
- CO₂ or CO₂-nitrogen mix at the correct pressure is the best.
how effective is the Party Pump for dispensing draught beer.
- great when having a party!
But due to the fact it brings oxygen in contact with the beer, the flavour stability is less than a day.
Does a keg of beer need to sit before being tapped?
A keg should remain in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours before being tapped to prevent foaming.
4 quick reasons why foaming problems may occur with a draught system?
- Keg not stored for 24hrs in refrigerator before being tapped.
- Kink in the lines from keg to bar.
- Coupler is not properly engaged.
- FOB system is not properly set for service.
How ofter should a draught line be cleaned?
It is suggested that every 14 days the draught line should be cleaned.
What are three reasons why beer should not be served in a frosted glass?
- Carbonation bubbles stick to the tiny frost crystals on the side of the glass, which will cause excessive foaming.
- Sanitizer was the last thing to touch the glass and may be frozen to the inside.
- Todays fuller styles of beer really do not taste there best when served extremely cold.
What malt and grain flavours might you expect in a 'Pale Beer'?
You would expect; Uncooked Flour and Bread Dough flavours
What malt and grain flavours might you expect in a 'Golden Beer'?
You would expect; White Bread, Wheat Bread and Water Cracker flavours
What malt and grain flavours might you expect in a 'Light Amber Beer'?
You would expect; Bread Crust, Biscuit, and Graham Cracker flavours
What malt and grain flavours might you expect in a 'Amber Beer'?
You would expect; Toast, Caramel, and Pie Crust flavours
What malt and grain flavours might you expect in a 'Brown Beer'?
You would expect; Nutty, Toffee, Chocolate, and Dark / Dried Fruit flavours
What malt and grain flavours might you expect in a 'Black Beer'?
You would expect; Roasted, Burnt, and Coffee flavours
What three components does Hops bring to beer.
- Bitterness, Flavour and Aroma effects
What flavour and aroma traits would you expect from Traditional American Hops?
- Piney, citrus, resiny, tropical fruit, catty, onion/garlic
What flavour and aroma traits would you expect from Traditional English Hops?
- Earthy, herbal, woodsy
What flavour and aroma traits would you expect from Traditional German/Czech Hops?
- Floral, perfumy, peppery, minty