Flashcards in Ch.1 Introducing biology Deck (11)
Definition of biology:
Biology is the scientific study of _________.
Characteristics of organisms
- reproduction and g_____
- obtainment of f_____ (nutrition) and r_________
- dectection and response to s_________, and m_________
- e_________ to maintain a relatively constant internal environment
- reproduction (生殖) and growth (生長)
- obtainment of food (nutrition (營養)) and respiration (呼吸作用)
- detection and response to stimuli (刺激), and movement (運動)
- excretion (排泄) to maintain a relatively constant internal environment
Studying biology helps us develop _________ of and _________ for organisms and the environment.
Studying biology helps us develop the ability to _________ and _________ problems _________ly.
think; solve; scientifically
Studying biology helps us better understand ______ issues, _________ issues and ______ issues.
health; environmental; social
Scientific method usually involves a few basic steps:
Making ____________s → asking a _________ → proposing a _________ → making a _________ → _________ the hypothesis → drawing a _________
observations; question; hypothesis; prediction; testing; conclusion
In scientific method,
- If the results match the prediction, the hypothesis is _________.
- If the results do not match the prediction, the hypothesis is _________. Scientists may need to propose a revised or new hypothesis for testing again.
supported; falsified (or rejected)
The factor to be purposely changed.
The factor that may change with the independent variable; it is the factor to be measured.
The factor that is kept the same.