Flashcards in Ch3 Company Officer Deck (25):
A ________ is anyone who is responsible for activities of one or more subordinate employees.
Includes the process of directing, overseeing, and controlling the activities of other individuals and is basic to the successful completion of the duties assigned to a Level I officer.
Refers to the administration and control of projects, programs, situations, or organizations.
_____ Officers are often assigned management duties of administering a function such as fire and life safety education or logistics in a small department or managing an incident scene involving multiple units or agencies.
- Level 2
Most level 1 officers have the responsibility for supervising fire company level personnel or small groups of around____ people.
The efficient assignment of subordinates to a supervisor is referred to as_____.
- Span of Control
Generally the best span of control consist of_____to_____subordinates with_____being the preferred.
- 3 to 7
In the fire and emergency services the company officer should recognize that activities can be categorized into three levels of priority.
– Emergency response
– Preparation for emergency response
– Organizational duties
To meet these priorities the company officer considers the following preparation activities.
– Mental preparation for emergency response
– Direct preparation for emergency response
– Application of efficient organizational skills
When a problem arises suddenly it is necessary to react to the situation and attempt to resolve it quickly. Such actions taken by supervisors need to be____,____, and_____.
- corrective, progressive, Lawful
______ should be attainable, clearly stated, measurable, and within the capabilities of the unit.
Supervisors can involve employees in the process of establishing goals and objectives in one of the following three (3) ways.
– Simply require the employee to accomplish a specific task
– Delegate tasks
– Use democratic leadership principles
Although a unit may vary in size from a few as four (4) people to as many as an entire division, a company officer will usually supervise the ______ of these groups.
Groupings of people with the common purpose of completing specific objectives within the organization.
Process of overcoming inherent individual differences (such as age, experience, rank, job qualifications, education, gender, ethnicity, religion, politics, and personal interest) within the unit and empowering members to make decisions for the benefit of the group.
– Team building
A company officer guides the group on a journey from disjointed individuals To a Cohesive team. According to research by B.W. Tuckman, that journey can be illustrated with a basic four – stage development model that includes.
The process was further expanded to include a 5th, (development model)
The company officer can create job interest within a unit in a number of ways. Some effective methods are
– Empowering employees
– Providing rewards and incentives
– Counseling and mentoring members of the unit and celebrating accomplishments.
Informal process of giving motivational direction, positive reinforcement, and constructive feedback to employees in order to maintain and improve their performances and ensure successful performances.
Formal process that involves activities that assist participants in identifying and resolving personal, behavioral, or career problems that are adversely affecting performance.
Process used to prepare capable individuals for advancement within the organization through the direction of a positive role model.
______Employees is a form of delegation that allows subordinates to take responsibility for their actions and decisions.
Rewards are critical as motivational techniques in volunteer and combination or career departments. Some reward examples and incentives examples are
_Make public acknowledgment of accomplishments.
– Hold group gatherings or parties to create cohesiveness and spirit.
– Make positive statements on the skills and abilities of members of the unit to improve self-esteem. Recognition by a supervisor is a good motivator.
– Make appropriate comments on employees job performance evaluation. Which can result in future monetary rewards.
– Acknowledge a unit or an individuals accomplishments to the organizations administration.
The following four step method of counseling can be used in the fire and emergency services.
1. Describe the current performance
2. Describe the desired performance
3. Gain a commitment for change
4. Follow up the commitment