Flashcards in Chap 11 Deck (24):
why is design important
- Prositions the product
- Creates brand personality
- set the mood
- Flavors the message (copy)
what is design
how the art director and graphic artist choose and structure the artistic elements of the ad.
What are layout
How the ad format elements are arranged gives the ad its look and feel.
- visuals, headlines. subhead, body, slogan, seal, logo, signature.
What is a thumnail
- Is small rough rapidly produced drawing.
- No details.
- Very basic.
What is a rough Layout
- Draws to the actual size of the ad or website.
- Headlines and subheads suggest
Illustration and photos are sketched
what is a comrehensive
- Highly refined facsimile of the finished ad.
- Quite elaborate with colored photos an final type style and size.
What is a Dummy
- Handheld look and fell of brochures, multipage meterial.
What is Mechanical
- Pasteup: If black type and line art are pased in place on a piece of white artborad
The creative/approval prose starts?
The copy begins within the agency and ends with a approval buy the client company.
how to get Approval for a New ad concept.
1) Agency's creative director
2) Acoount managers
3) Client's product manager and marketing staff.
Both the agency and client legal department should look at it
Last the company's top executives
The basic rules of design
- The design must be in balance.
- The space within the ad should be broken up into pleasing proportions.
A directional pattern should be evident so the reader knows in what sequence to read.
- Some force should hold the ad together and give it unity.
- One element, or one part of the ad, should have enough emphasis to dominate all others.
Strong design demands?
- Command attention
- Hold that attention
- Tells as mush as possible
- Facilitates understanding
What is the roles of a headline
Most important thing a company says to the prospect.
what are the types of headline
- benefit headline
- news/information headline
"it's a girl"
- Provocative headline
- Question headline
richer than others?
- Command headline
obey your thirst
what is a body copy
The complete sales story
The 6 body copy styles
Straight sell copy
- immediately explain.
- Warm image - bank insurance
- tells a stroy
- useful for product that have a number of different users.
- figure of speech
what is the key to a good body copy?
simplicity, order, credibility and clarity
what is a slogan
"reach out and touch someone" AT&T
- continuity to series of ads
- reduse an ad message strategy to a brief repeatable position
what is a seal
award only when a product meets standards established by particular organization
need for writing radio copy
Two - column list
Left - speaker name
Right - dialogue (audio)
radio second to pay attention?
first 5-8 seconds
need for writing television copy
left - video
Right - Audio
8 common commercial formats ***
- one person delivers the sales message
- one character to present the product (celebratis)
- tell who effective the product is
- visual demonstration
- jingle - best and worst
Slice of life
- real life situation
- rather the user are shown, then the product