Flashcards in Chapter 3 - Exploring The World Of Vertebrate Deck (48)
What are two ways to tell an animal from a plant?
animals mover around; plants are held to the ground by roots
animals find their food; plants make their own food
What are animals with backbones called?
What are animals without backbones called?
What are vertebrates
animals with backbones
What are invertebrates
animals without backbones
What are the bones which form the framework of the body called?
Into what two groups are animals divided or classified?
vertebrates and invertebrates
Name the five groups of invertebrates
mammals, fish, amphibians, reptiles, and birds
List the five ways all mammals are alike
1. The make milk for their babies and take good care of their young.
2. They have at least some hair.
3. No mammal has more than four limbs.
4. All mammals are warm-blooded.
5. All mammals have lungs and breathe air.
What are limbs?
legs, arms, and wings
What does warm-blooded mean?
The body temperature stays just about the same no matter what the outside temperature is.
In what three ways are fish alike?
1. All fish have gills.
2. All fish have fins.
3. Fish are cold-blooded.
What do gills do?
Help fish breath
What do fins do?
Help fish swim
What does cold-blooded mean?
the body temperature changes when the temperature of the water changes.
What do fish do when the water becomes cold?
What do fish do when the water becomes warm?
they move faster
What does it mean to divide into groups?
Most living things are one of what two things?
plants or animals
What do mammals use to breath air?
Explain the life cycle of a salmon.
After they hatch, they swim up to hundreds of miles downstream. They spend years eating and growing. After they have grown, they swim upstream to the stream or river where they hatched. They make their nest and lay eggs. They float downstream where soon they will die.
Name the four ways amphibians are alike?
1. All amphibians breathe with gills in water when they are born, and some breathe with lungs on land water.
2. All amphibians have smooth, moist skin.
3. All amphibians lay eggs.
4. All amphibians are cold-blooded.
What three ways are all reptiles alike?
1. All reptiles breathe with lungs.
2. All reptiles are covered with dry scales.
3. All reptiles are cold-blooded.
What does the word amphibian mean?
Living a double life
Name some amphibians
Frogs, toads, salamanders
Name some reptiles
Snakes, alligators, crocodiles, turtles
In what five ways are all birds alike?
1. All birds have feathers.
2. All birds have wings.
3. All birds have two legs.
4. All birds breathe with lungs.
5. All birds have bills or beaks.
List the five groups or classes of vertebrates.
Mammals, fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds
Which class of animals spend part of their life in water and part on land?