Flashcards in Charcot Foot Deck (10):
Name some causes for Charcot deformity.
What are the 2 theories for the Charcot process?
1. neurovascular- increased blood flow from autonomic neuropathy --> bone resorption
2. neurotramatic --> repeated trauma on an insensate foot results in joint destruction
What is the Eichenholtz classification for Charcot deformity?
0) risk factor- no radiographic changes but the diabetic patient has a sprain or fx
1) development/ fragmentation- osteochondral fragmentation and debris formation
2) coalescence- absorption of debris and fusion of fragments into bone
3)reconstruction/consolidation- trabecular remodeling and osseous proliferation and ankylosis
Name some differentials for Charcot joint disease.
acute septic arthritis
what is the mainstay of treatment for acute neuropathic arthropathy?
cessation of WB to prevent further destruction
Name 3 immobilizers used in the care for acute Charcot with deep ulceration.
what does CROW boot stand for?
charcot restraint orthotic walker
what are the goals of a charcot reconstruction?
stable, plantigrade foot with the ankle at 90 deg, hindfoot at 5-10 deg of valgus rotation
what is the anatomic classification for Charcot?