Flashcards in Classification Of Particles Deck (13)
(Note capital letters indicate a line above the quark)
uU, dD, sS
K0 and a line above the K
What are the two groups of particles?
- Hadrons = interact through the strong interaction, decay through the weak interaction
- Leptons = interaction through the weak interaction, not through the strong interaction
What are hadrons and leptons made out of?
Hadrons are made from quarks
Leptons are fundamental particles
Name the two types of hadrons
Baryon = 3 quarks
Mesons = quark, antiquark composition
Note : all baryons decay into a proton and all mesons decay into a pion
State 3 facts about strangeness and strange particles?
- Strange particles are created via the strong interaction but decay via the weak
- Strange particles are always produced in pairs
- Strangeness is conserved in the strong interaction but not the weak.
Name 3 leptons
Electrons, muons and neutrinos
Note: the muon decays into an electron