Flashcards in Corporations Deck (16):
Business Judgment Rule
In the absence of FRAUD, ILLEGALITY, or SELF-DEALING, a court will not disturb the good-faith judgment of the directors or officers.
Duty of Care - Standard
Directors and officers must use the care a person in a like position would reasonably believe appropriate under similar circumstances.
Duty of Care - Entitled to rely on the expertise and reports of?
1. Officers and other employees
2. Outside experts AND
3. Committee of the Board of Directors
Duty of Loyalty - Standard
Directors and officers cannot receive unfair benefits to the detriment of the corporation unless they effectively DISCLOSE and OBTAIN RATIFICATION of those benefits.
When director / officer / relative receives compensation directly from corporation
When director / officer prevents money from coming into the corporation
Avoid Liability from Self-Dealing Transaction or Pursuing Corporate Opportunity
1. Approval by majority disinterested board members
2. Approval by majority disinterested shareholders OR
3. Court concludes transaction was fair
Every corporation required to hold one every year at which shareholders elect directors and conduct other shareholder business
May be called to vote on fundamental corporate changes
Notice for Special Meeting
No fewer than 10 days; no more than 60 days before meeting
Must give date, time, location, and purpose of meeting
Attendance waives notice requirement
Date determines which shareholders are eligible to vote even if they subsequently sold shares
Set no fewer than 10 days; no more than 70 days before meeting
Alternative to Shareholder Meeting
Unanimous written consent by shareholders
Requirements for Proxy Voting
1. In writing
2. Signed by shareholder
3. Sent to secretary of corporation
4. Authorization by shareholder to vote shares AND
5. Valid for no more than 11 months (unless otherwise specified)
When corporation removes profit from corporation and gives it to shareholder
Prohibited from distributing?
Board cannot declare dividend if
1. corporation is insolvent OR
2. declaring dividend would make corporation insolvent