feeble or insipid in quality or character; lacking strength or boldness.
1. offensively impolite or ill-mannered.
2. roughly made or done; lacking subtlety or sophistication.
the practice of performing operations on live animals for the purpose of experimentation or scientific research.
meet or find by chance
1. a substance that induces insensitivity to pain.
2. inducing or relating to insensitivity to pain.
1. a female fox.
2. a spiteful or quarrelsome woman.
1. severe mental or physical pain or suffering.
She shut her eyes in anguish.
2. be extremely distressed about something.
He anguish over how to reply.
1. one's family or ethnic descent.
2. the origin or background of something.
The book traces the ancestry of women's poetry.
erectile hairs along the back of a dog or other animal that rise when it is angry or alarmed.
very strange or unusual, especially so as to cause interest or amusement.
Her bizarre dress and outrageous hairdos
to get a large number or amount of something.
the final or eventual outcome or conclusion of a discussion, action, or series of events.
The upshot of the meeting is that he is on the next plane to New York.
1. of or relative to the viscera.
2. relating to deep inward feelings rather than to the intellect.
the voters' visceral fear of change; instinctive, gut, deep-rooted.
1. (of a disease or poison) extremely severe or harmful in its effects.
2. bitterly hostile.
Extract information from various sources; collect gradually and bit by bit; gather after a harvest.
The information is gleaned from press clippings.
1. extremely offensive and insulting.
2. engaging in or characterized by habitual violence and cruelty.
A fixed sum of money paid to someone each year, typically for the rest of their life.
believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.
1. make (a dish or meal) by combining various ingredients.
2. create or devise (a plan)
1. a result obtained by dividing one quantity by another.
2. a degree or amount of a specified quality or characteristic.
not likely to provoke dissent or offense; inoffensive, often deliberately so.
Day time television at its most anodyne
A person's or animal's nature, especially as it permanently affects their behavior.
She has an artistic temperament.
1. v. cause someone to become motionless with horror, wonder, and astonishment.
2. v. pierce with a sharp implement or weapon.
the human soul, mind, or spirit.
I will never really fathom the female psyche.
1. an area that is suitable for a ship to anchor in.
The mother provides emotional anchorage.
(especially of a woman) attractively lively and animated.
make determined efforts to deal with (a problem or difficult task).
Police have launched an initiative to tackle rising crime.
Rack . n
a framework, typically with rails, bars, hooks, or pegs, for holding or storing things.
a spice rack.
irregularly torn pieces of cloth, paper, or other material
the prevailing fashion or style at a particular time.
The vogue is to make realistic films.
suffering from, caused by, or relating to neurosis.
used to refuse a request
indicate no chance of success.
1. the equipment required for a task or sport.
2. a mechanism consisting of ropes, pulley blocks, hooks, or other things for lifting heavy objects.
1. a person's face, with reference to the form or proportions of the features.
2. the surface of an object presented to view.
1. having angles or sharp corners.
2. awkward, jerky, and angular (in manner)
declare invalid; declare (a marriage) to have had no legal existence.
1. moor (a ship) to the sea bottom with an anchor.
2. secure, fasten.
expressing contempt or ridicule.
a hard, derisive laugh
In a pinch
In a critical situation; if absolutely necessary.
1. cause extreme physical or mental pain to; subject to extreme stress.
torment, afflict, torture, agonize, harrow.
He was racked with guilt.