List some of the main skin diseases in the UK?(9)
- Skin cancer (including melanoma)
- Actopic eczema
- Viral warts
- Other infective skin conditions
- Benign tumours and vascular lesions
- leg ulceration
- Contact dermatitis and other eczemas
List/appreciate some of the causes of skin disease (9)
- Genetic factors
- Internal disease
- Psychological factors
The cause of skin disease is often multifactorial
What should you make sure you ask about in the history of presenting complaint ?
- Site and appearance at onset
- Details of evolution / spread
- Symptoms – itch, pain, burning
- Aggravating or relieving factors
- How does the condition affect you?
What should you be asking about for a systemic enquiry relating to skin ?
- Itch (generalised, localised, with or without rash)
- Pain/burning/stinging (or other skin discomfort)
- Skin colour change
- Lymph gland swellings
- weight changes
What should you ask about in past medical history ?
- Previous skin disease - Atopy e.g. eczema
- General health e.g., pruritus
- Mouth disease
- Joint disease
- Autoimmune disease history
Why do you need to remember to ask about drug histroy ?
Because drug eruptions are common.
“over the counter” preparations herbal drugs “complementary” therapies other people’s preparations cosmetic preparations
Why do you need to rememeber to ask about family history of skin disease ?
To check for the possibility of any inherited skin conditions or autoimmune history
Why is occupational history important ?
Because occupation may explain or aggravate condition.
- e.g. florist with facial eczema
- e.g. car mechanic with hand dermatitis
What in social history is important in history taking for skin disease?
TRAVELS - e.g., infections, sunshine
HOBBIES - e.g., contact dermatitis
ALCOHOL - e.g., hepatotoxic therapy considered
SMOKING - e.g. palmoplantar pustulosis