Flashcards in Determination of g Deck (4)
○ Stand and clamp
○ Steel ball bearing
○ Light gate
○ Set up the apparatus as
shown in the diagram.
○ The position of the lower
light gate should be adjusted
such that the height h is
0.500m, measured using the
○ Turn on the electromagnet and attach the ball bearing. Reset the stopwatch to zero and switch off the electromagnet. Read and record the time t on the stopwatch.
○ Reduce h by 0.050m by moving the lower light gate upwards and repeat this, reducing h by 0.050m each time down to 0.250m.
○ Repeat the experiment twice more and find and record the mean t for each h.
● Graphs and calculations:
○ Plot a graph of 2h/t against t and draw a line of best fit. The
gradient will be g.
○ h=ut + 1/2 gt^2 - 2h/t = 2u + gt
○ The y intercept is 2u, where u is the speed of the ball bearing
when it reaches the top light gate (which we don’t need).