Flashcards in Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) Deck (10):
What is Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD)?
- Neurodevelopmental disorder
- Impairs performance of everyday tasks and academic achievement
- Affects 5-6% of school aged children
- More common in males
What is DSM-V diagnostic criteria A for DCD?
- Acquisition & execution of coordinated motor skills below expected at a given age & opportunity for skill learning & use.
- Manifested as clumsiness, slowness & inaccuracy of performance of motor skills
What is DSM-V diagnostic criteria B for DCD?
- Motor skills deficit significantly or persistently interferes with ADLs appropriate to age
- Impacts academic/school productivity, prevocational and vocational activities, leisure, and play
What is DSM-V diagnostic criteria C for DCD?
The onset of symptoms is in the early developmental period
What is DSM-V diagnostic criteria D for DCD?
Motor skills deficits cannot be better explained by intellectual disability or visual impairment & are not attributable to a neurological condition affecting movement
What are the characteristics of DCD?
- Described as ‘clumsy’ by parents or teachers
- Difficulty attaining & maintaining motor skills
- Proprioceptive & visuospatial dysfunction
- Persistence into adolescence in 50-70% of cases
- Social and emotional components
What tasks do children with DCD have difficulty with?
- Analysing the task
- Interpreting environmental stimuli
- Anticipatory movements
- Acknowledging errors
- Making adjustments to movement
What are the 3 intervention approaches for DCD?
- Task oriented approach
- Motor learning approach
- Cognitive approach
What should interventions for DCD incorporate?
- Goals set at activity & participation levels
- May be necessary to treat a specific impairment to aid ability
- Should be aimed at participation in meaningful activities as independently as possible, based on discussion with the child
- Effective in both individual & group contexts (Individual may be better for children scoring lower than 5% on standardised assessment)
- Movement ABC-2 currently recommended for assessment