How is Dr Jekyll first described?
" a large, well-made, smooth-faced man of fifty with something of a slyish cast perhaps, but every mark of capacity and kindness."
How is Dr Jekyll described by Utterson- when he is sat by the window? Incident at the window
"with an infinite sadness of mien, like some disconsolate prisoner"
How is Dr jekyll described- Incident at the window
‘The smile was struck out of his face and succeeded by an expression of such abject terror and despair"
Dr Jekyll was quite at ease.
How does he respond at the mention of Hyde by Utterson?
“Grew pale to the very lips” at the mention of Hyde; “a blackness about his eyes”
“The moment I choose, I can be rid of Mr Hyde”
Incident of the letter. After the murder of carew- how is he described when Utterson meets him?
"looking deathly sick"
"the doctor shuddered"
"held out a cold hand"
Henry Jekyll's full statement of the case. Quotes relating to duality.
- “Man is not truly one, but truly two”
- “primitive duality of man”
- “a mere polity of multifarious, incongruous and independent denizens”
- “The animal within me”
- “A current of sensual images running...in my fancy” When we try to repress “doom and burden” of our instincts, they only return with “awful pressure”
- "These polar twins should be continuously struggling"
Dr Jekyll's full statement of the case- how does he describe the drug that he took?
"It was neither diabolical nor divine; it but shook the doors of the prisonhouse of my disposition"