Flashcards in Energy transfers Deck (10)
Describe the energy transfers in your average power station.
- Non-renewable fuels like coal have CHEMICAL ENERGY
- When they are burnt in a huge furnace this is transferred to HEAT ENERGY
- This heat energy is used to boil water into steam which has KINETIC ENERGY and this is used to turn a turbine
- Turbine uses its kinetic energy to drive a generator which transfers the energy to ELECTRICAL ENERGY
Describe the energy transfers in a nuclear fission reactor.
- When a nucleus splits it releases a lot of energy in the form of KINETIC ENERGY
- This is transferred to HEAT ENERGY in a heat exchanger
- The heat energy transfer itself to water and so the water is boiled and the steam has KINETIC ENERGY
- This energy is then used to turn a turbine which drives a generator, creating ELECTRICAL ENERGY
Describe the energy transfers in a wind farm.
- KINETIC ENERGY from the wind transferred to ELECTRICAL ENERGY when it turns the propeller
Describe the energy transfer in geothermal energy
- Cold water is pumped down into the earther crust when hot rocks transfer their HEAT ENERGY to the water, turning it to steam which has KINETIC ENERGY
- The steam drives a turbine, and then a generator, creating ELECTRICAL ENERGY
Describe the energy transfers solar cells
- LIGHT ENERGY from the sun directly into ELECTRICAL ENERGY
Describe the energy transfers in solar heating systems
- LIGHT ENERGY from the sun is converted to HEAT ENERGY as it heats up water in black pipes
Describe the energy transfers in wave power
- KINETIC ENERGY from the movement of waves into ELECTRICAL ENERGY
Describe the energy transfers in pumped storage
- Water is released from an upper reservoir at peak time.
- The KINETIC ENERGY from the falling water is converted into ELECTRICAL ENERGY by a turbine and generator
How does fibre glasswool prevent energy loss by conduction and convection.
- The air spaces in fibres means that fibres are very bad conductors because the air particles are widely spaced so cannot transfer heat energy vibrations very well.
- Air in the insulating layers cannot move so it prevents the formation of convection currents.