Flashcards in Estimating project work (Ana) Deck (13):
Problem with software projects?
1. over budget
2. over time
1. not meeting requirements
guess, forecast, calculation of the most likely effort/money needed to complete a project, based on information
1. Algoritmic models
2. expert judgement
Constructive cost Model (COCOMO)
Based on historical project data and current project characteristics such as product personel etc.
a= based on the project type
S=size in lines of code, function points
- ad hoc
- company templates
- planning poker
- uses Fibonacci sequence reflects the inherent uncertainty in estimating larger items
why does it work?
- decision about time estimation is individual
- if consensual —> decision
wisdom of crowds?
decisions often better than if made by single members of the group
Better estimation if:
most common for Swedish companies with regards to estimation?
Research in cost estimation methods?
not very often tested practice in real organizations
why we keep failing with cost estimate?
1. practitioners ability to estimate effect does not seem to improve
2. The knowledge provided by the researchers
3. The importance of asking questions
practicers point of view?
1. changes in requirements