Liturgy and divine liturgy
a form of worship / recreates heaven on earth
‘The Divine Liturgy’
Liturgy of word - hymns and prayers and reading from
- Priest through Royal Doors to chant Gospel
→ All done to recreate heaven on earth.
→ Happens between a screen representing the divide between heaven and earth.
→ Candles and incense help people feel gods prescence.
Liturgy of the Eucharist
- Offerings of bread and wine brought to altar and prayer is said using Jesus’ words at last supper
- “He gave you thanks…this is my body which is given for you in remembrance of me” (Luke)
- lord’s prayer is said
→ Jesus himself acting through the Eucharist
→ Supplies all the graces they derive from it
→ Mass is a celebration of htis sacrifice - the active participation of all that come together in the place of worship
‘The Lord’s Supper’
- Hymn and prayer
- Bible readings and sermon
- Open table, anyone may receive bread and wine
- Some places may break the bread as it is passed, others may have already broke it
→ A reminder of Jesus’ words and actions
→ Bread and wine symbolise his sacrifice, allows them to reflect on the meaning of his sacrifice.