What is genetic identity?
What is gender role?
What is sexual orientation?
What are sexual dysfunctions?
disturbance of sexual arousal or a disturbance of psychophysiological performance
What are paraphilias?
culturally inappropriate or dangerous patterns of sexual arousal (e.g., exhibitionism)
What are gender identity disorders?
(e.g., transsexualism)—dissatisfaction with one’s biological gender and a desire to become a member of the opposite gender
What are some types of sexual dysfunctions?
- Hypoactive sexual desire disorder
- Female sexual interest/arousal disorder
- Male erectile disorder
- Female orgasmic disorder
- Premature ejaculation
- Genito-pelvic pain/penetration disorder
- Substance/medication induced sexual dysfunction
What are some paraphilic disorders?
- Exhibitionistic disorder
- Fetishistic disorder
- Frotteuristic disorder
- Pedophilic disorder (illegal; a crime)
- Sexual masochism disorder
- Sexual sadism disorder (from humiliating others)
- Voyeuristic disorder (likes seeing others perform sex)
- Transvestic disorder (gets aroused wearing clothes of the opposite dress)
What is dender dysphoria and what are some features?
May occur in childhood, adolescence, or adulthood
Features: A marked incongruence between one’s experienced/expressed gender and assigned gender, with a strong desire to be of the other gender, to be treated as the other gender, and a strong conviction that one has the typical feelings and reactions of the other gender
What is adaptive sexual behaviors?
Between two consenting adults, mutually satisfying to both, not psychologically or physically harmful to either, lacking in force or coercion, and conducted in private.
What is the role of the nurse in promoting sexual health?
- Acceptance of sexual behavior different from one’s own
- Confidence in ability to discuss sexual issues with patients
- Competence in interviewing skills for screening & sexual assessments
- Discuss sexual questions, problems
- Perform health teaching about sexual issues
- Referring patients for sexual counseling when appropriate
What are some treatment of sexual disorders?
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Anti-androgen treatment
- Can treat erectile disorders with sildenafil (Viagra), tadalafil (Cialis), vardenafil (Levitra)
- Can treat rapid ejaculation with SSRIs
What are some different sexual behaviors?
What are some difficulties with sexual orientation?
- Most heterosexuals, homosexuals, bisexuals accept their sexual orientations
- Some have difficulty, seek help
- May feel constrained to act because of personal, sociocultural, legal, economic, or religious reasons
- Can create internal conflict, distress: person may seek counseling though homosexuality not a disorder or mental illness
What are some treatment options for gender dysphoria?