Flashcards in Experimental Methods Deck (4)
- Independent Variable: variable that is manipulated and has a direct effect on DV.
- Dependent Variable: variable that is measured after making changes to IV.
- Extraneous Variable: variables other than IV that COULD affect the DV.
- Confounding Variables: variables that HAVE affected DV.
Condition where IV is not manipulated in order to provide a standard against which experimental conditions can be compared.
- When experiment is carried out in a controlled env. which allows researchers to exert a high level of control over IV and eliminate any EV.
- Participants are randomly allocated to a condition.
- Conducted in an artificial setting.