What is sustainable food production?
Sustainable food production is producing food in ways that can be continued indefinitely
Why is there a reduction is the population of some fish species?
Fish are a valuable source of protein and overfishing has caused a decrease in population in some species.
These fish populations cannot regenerate therefore will not provide us in the future
What are international org and regulations doing to control overfishing?
- international organisation have introduced fishing restrictions and limitations tag limit the number and types of fishes caught in an area.
- the aim to allow enough fish to survive and reproduce to maintain their population
- regulations on mesh size of nets allow small young fish to escape
What is fish farming?
Fish can be farmed by being bred and reared in large cages in the sea or rivers.
+ protects the fish from predators and makes them easier to catch and allows wild population to recover
- fish are kept close to each other so disease spreads quickly and risk of it spreading to the wild population
How can farmers reduce the use of fertilisers and pesticide in sustainable farming?
- instead of using artificial fertilisers, replace soil nutrition through using manure
- as different crops take different nutrients from soil, crop rotation (planting different crops each year) gives soil a chance to recover
- this maximises plant growth and prevent growth of particular crop pests
- using the pests’ natural predators, farmers use biological control to decrease pest population
- gene techn making plants resistent to pests and diseases
What is a hydroponic system?
- when plants are grown in water containing dissolved minerals
- commercial growers use this as it enables plant to grow quickly