3 Levels of Influence
- You like their music- you enjoy listening, you identify with it and want to play and emulate it.
- Technique- You like the tone of their voice, the runs they sing, the fills they play, the sounds they use
- Nuance- After learning the lick, you learn how to really play it. For Example: Ghost Notes, Bends, Phrasing, and Breaths
Two Types of Electric Guitar Players?
Rhythm (Chords) and Melodic (Melody)
How often should you tune your guitar?
Between every song
What are Chops?
They are licks and tricks
Who is responsible for keeping time in the band?
What does Maverick mean?
It is versatile and can operate in different functions
When should you select sounds?
Personal practice time
2 most important aspects of a musician?
Play in tune and play in time
Two keys to achieving professional sound?
Passion and Focus
What does playing in the element mean?
Playing within the style or genre of the song. Use the tools made for that style.
What does playing within your limitations mean?
In personal practice time you should play outside of your limitations, in a service you should play within your limitations
Ways to achieve good bass tone.
- Keep Instrument in tune
- Change strings every two months
- Keep instrument clean
- Keep Bass, Treble, and mids on the halfway mark
Links rhythm with harmony and melody
Can operate in melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic
- Keep Beat
- Protect Pulse
- Establish Feel
What’s most important for a musician?
What does downbeat @ 4 PM mean?
That everyone should be ready to start at 4PM.
What should you always practice with during personal practice time?
The key to learning half of what’s out there
What should you always start a practice with?
How do you know what subdivision to use when using a metronome?
Base it upon what you’re going to be playing, if you’re playing 8th notes, use 8th notes. It all depends on the feel of the song.
Important factors in praying together as a band?
- Builds Trust
- Starts you off with the right mindset
Good Player > Good Guitar > Good Analog Pedals > Tube Amp
- Should stay in the middle frequency bandwidth to avoid playing over musicians
- Plays chords and fills in melodic parts on occasion
- Synths, Rhodes, Pads, Organs
Often follows the drummer’s kick, snare and Hi-Hat
- Takes the raw sound and enhances it
- A good sound engineer is your link to how your tone translates to the congregation
- The band is only as good as their sound operator
How to achieve good tone on electric guitar.
Tube amps, good reverb, delay pedal, and drive pedal. Example: Morning Glory, Timeline, BigSky