What does the word Penateuch mean?
What does the letters JEDP stand for?
D = Deuteronomist
P= Priestly Writer
Define the Deuteronomic Principle:
If you obey you will be blessed
If you disobey you will be cursed
Why was the first king of Israel rejected by YHWH?
he rejected God and did not obey the Lord's word
Who was the king Saul did not kill? What was the name of that king's people?
What did Saul keep of the plunder?
the best of the livestock
What caused the United Monarchy to fall?
Rehoboam increased taxes and work load. People didnt like it so ten tribes left to make the kingdom of Israel. The other 2 tribes stayed under Rehoboam .
Who became king of Israel after the split?
How do you tell if a prophet was pre-exilic?
It would say in the first verse kings of judah or israel
Who were the Exilic prophets?
Who were the Post-exilic prophets?
List and define the 2 sides of biblical prophecy.
Foretellers= spoke on behalf of God
Fortold= told the future
What does the N stand for in Tanak?
What does the k stand for in Tanak?
What does the word Psalmos stand for?
a song sung to the accompaniment of musical instruments
What are the 7 types of Psalms
1. Individual and Communal Lament Psalms- prayers for God's deliverance
2. Thansgiving Psalms- consisting of praise to God for His gracious acts
3. Enthronement Psalms- describe God's sovereign rule
4. Pilgrimage Psalms- were sung by worshipers as they traveled to Jerusalem to celebrate the Jewish festivals
5. Royal Psalms- portray the reign of the earthly king, as well as the heavenly King of Israel
6. Widom Psalms- instruct the worshiper in the way of wisdom and righteousness
7. Imprecatory Psalms- worshiper invokes God's wrath and judgment against his enemies
What is the Outline of Psalms?
1. Book I = Psalms 1-41
2. Book II = psalms 42-72
3. Book III = Psalms 73-89
4. Book IV = Psalms 90-106
5. Book V = Psalms 107-150
What are the 3 theological themes of Proverbs?
1. the secret of a happy, meaningful, and effective life is found in wisdom and the practical applications of its principles
2. Wisdom comes only from knowing and confessing God as its source
3. Therefore, a person must seek after God with all of his or her being in order to be wise and to enjoy wisdom's benefits
Who are three authors of the Proverbs?
Who are three authors of Psalm?
What is a Proverb?
a pithy statement of truth