Flashcards in Final Exam Review Deck (35):
There will be...
- 48 multiple choice questions
- 2 sentences to write out
- 4 essays about mini essays
- 1 personal growth essay
- A group of words that has a subject and a verb
- Can be dependent or independent
- Complete sentence
- Incomplete sentence
- What the sentence is about
- The action that the subject takes
- Additional info that can be removed from a sentence
Know how to ...
- Distinguish between dependent clauses, independent clauses, and modifying phrases
- Unless, before, although
- For, and, nor, but, or, so, yet
Acronym for Coordinating Conjunctions
- Lacks punctuation
- Two incomplete thoughts
- Lacks subject or predicate
The title should be _____ _______ and should be ______ on the page.
- Works Cited
The entries should be ______ - ______, in ________ order and have a _ _____ indent.
- 5 space
Like the rest of the paper, there should be a header with two things: _____ _____ and __ ______.
- Last name
- Page number
Like the rest of the paper, the font used should be ____ ___ _____ and have __ _____ font.
- Times New Roman
- 12 point
The information included in a works cited entry:
1.) Author: last name, first name.
4.) pg. number,
Book Entry on Works Cited
Phillips, Jack. Into the Darkness, Doubleday: 2007.
Journal Entry on Works Cited
Smith, Mary, Dan Willis, and Avril Copper. "Chimpanzee Infant Development: A Time-Based Approach." Primates vol. 37, no. 2, 2011, pp. 201 - 230.
What should be italicized in MLA citation?
- Book, journal, newspaper, magazine, TV Shows, and albums
What should be in quotation marks in MLA citation?
- "What comes from containers"
- Chapter titles, short stories, article titles, episode titles, and songs
What should an in-text citation use ?
- Author last name
- Page number
When are single quotation marks used?
- For quotes within quotes
What does "et. al." mean and when is it used?
- And others
- When there is three or more authors in an in-text citation
What is capitalized in a MLA format title?
- Proper nouns, first letter, not a conjunction or article
Know subject-verb agreement
- Boy is
- Boys are
Numbers above __ are hyphenated.
Examples of prefixes
- pre-, post-, anti-, pro-
What are the marks of formal writing?
- Full-formed words
- Third person
- Complex sentences
- Objective/unemotional tone
- High-register words
What are the marks of informal writing?
- First and second person
- Short sentences/fragments
- Conversational tone
Where is it appropriate to use an apostrophe ?
- When a word is possessive
- When a word is a contraction
- The six comma rules
- Mainly, where a comma would go in a sentence
DO NOT FORGET TO STUDY YOUR ESSAYS !!
- Annie Dillard
- Amanda Coyne
- Betsy Samson
- Karen Kornbluh