Flashcards in Final ll Deck (31)
What is preterm labor?
labor bet 20-37 wks gestation
prolonged labor herbal support to increase uterine activity:
- blue cohosh
- black cohosh
How quickly should the baby latch?
within 1st hr
Why don't you need to supplement the baby right after birth?
- its high in minerals, protein, fat sol vits, abs, helps establish gut flora, laxative
- and baby's belly is the size of an almond
When does mom's milk supply come in?
- baby will be awake
- nurse 8-12x in 24hrs
(or every 2 hrs)
Positioning of baby for nursing?
- belly to belly
- babys mouth aligned w nipple
- neck slightly extended
- ear, shoulder, hip in alignment
Adv of breast feeding
- baby gets abs
- keeps uterus contraction
- mom loses weight
2 fxs of prolactin for nursing
- stim. mammary glands to produce milk
- causes enlargement of mamm glands
2 fxs of oxytocin for nursing
- mammary gland contractions
- stimulated by infant suckling, helps milk to "let down"
milk supply regulated by?
supply and demand
- enough for 2-3 babies
- if premature, milk will be diff.
- cows milk
- partial whey hydrolysate formulas
- extensive casein or whey hydrolysate
- AA based
What are some good positions for 2nd stage?
- pull legs up
- hands and knees
Placenta delivery is part of what stage? when does it get delivered?
Reasons baby can't get out
- pelvic size
- contractions aren't strong enough
- big baby
if amniotic fluid is green, what is that called?
(should be clear)
2 types of pushing
2. physiologic - mom's lead... pushes when she feels it... shorter and without a closed glottis
- milk thistle?
Mastitis can abscess, tx w?
hepar sulph and phytolacca oil topically
What is the risk of having a nuchal fist?
How much bigger does a nuchal fist add to the diameter?
How much weight is normal for a baby to lose in the first few days?
What are reasons the baby might have excessive weight loss (>7%) w lactation?
- inadeq milk production
- poor milk transfer
- dz of newborn
How can you tell the baby is being fed adeq?
- # of wet diapers
- BM every time they nurse
Medical conditions that effect fertility
How long should a 30 yo woman try before she seeks tx for fertility? if over 35?
- if over 35, then 6 mo
- or if irregular menses/hirsuitism, prostate infx, 2+ moscarriages
- saw palmetto
- nux vomica
female infertility drug
- not good for F 40 or over
2 herbs for ovulation
- aletris farinose (true unicorn root)
... can supplement beta carotene
3 herbs for luteal phase for progesterone
- wild yam