Flashcards in French Revolution Deck (14):
What is the Bastille?
A French jail that was taken down by an angry mob on July 14th 1789
Who are the Bourgeoisie people?
A middle class citizen, they usually invested in small businesses or worked in guilds
A new form of government that was controlled by the middle class
What is the estates general?
A kind of parliament that only met as a result of royal command
What is a Girondist?
- A political group that was from an area in France called "Gironde".
- They wanted sweeping changes but were sometimes viewed as two conservative
What was the great fear?
- When the peasants became aware of an upcoming change
- They were scared of the war that would happen but were exited for change
An object that was used to behead people during the French revolution
- Came to the throne in 1774
- He was not prepared to be a king
- had little interest in his own people
- He married Marrie Antoinette
- He Was a French king for 72 years
- He thought of himself as the sun king
- Built a palace in Versailles
Who was Marat?
- He was a radical leader of the revolution
- He was murdered in his bath by Charlotte Corday
- leader of the sans-clouttes
What did the radicals want?
-They wanted to execute the kind and aristocrats
Who was Marie Antoinette?
- Originally from France, she married Louis xvi
- She didnt care about the people of France
- She spend a lot of Frances money on herself
What was the National Assembly?
An assembly made up of the people from the third estates who's goal was to create a new constitution for France