Flashcards in Great Gatsby Themes Deck (3)
Love in the Great Gatsby?
- lack of family/paternal love
- Fitzgerald explores different kinds of love
- Friendships are presented as being shallow
- Love based off materials
- Love and relationships are a source of conflict
The Past/ Time in the Great Gatsby?
- A great proportion of the text is made up of reference to the past
- Gatsby is obsessed with repeating the past
-Examples of foreshadowing (the future) e.g. Owl eyes predicting another car crash in chapter 3
- Symbolism of danger of repeating the past as Gatsby nearly breaks the clock
- Aim to repeat the past ultimately fails and has repercussions
- 'You can't repeat the past? Why of course you can!'