Flashcards in Habits 101 Deck (16):
We are what we repeatable do.
Excellence is not an act. It’s a habit. What we do every day
Use Willpower Wisely
Willpower out predicts IQ by x2
But, it is finite. Use wisely
5 Things to Remember about Willpower
1. Eating, moving and sleeping improves your willpower
2. Meditate! Anaerobic training for your brain. Your prefrontal cortex
3. Breath. Take a deep breath. Gets you out of fight or flight. Pause and plan
4. Pre-commit future self to course of action, create bright lines – no fuzzy lines
5. Self-compassion; shaming yourself destroys willpower
2 Physiological Fundamentals
- For your brain hygiene
- Exercise, Nutrition, Rest, Meditate
- That are important for you personally
- e.g., Reading, Writing, How I dress
Your #1 keystone habit. What is it?
- Exercise every day
Which habits do you want to install:
- How excited are you about the habit?
- How big is the impact on your life?
- What about your commitment?
Create your stop doing list
- Emotional triggers
- Get back up, recommit
Stop doing list
- Which things or habits are pulling you down?
- Which are the things you want to do less of?
- Which is your VIP Stop! The one thing to stop!
Know Your Why
Benefits that I will experience
This is how my life is going to change
Do it Daily
Pick a habit you will do everyday
- We are what we do (repeatedly)
Never miss a day
Make it Easy
Break it down into smaller pieces
- Do one push up for a while, then 2, etc. etc.
- Make too small to fail
Make it easy to win!
If-then, Cue, Trigger
Create implementation intentions
The habit: which behavior do you want to install?
The trigger that gets you to take action – like putting on workout clothes?
Habits are 3 Things
Make it a game
Do it anyway!
3 Phases of Installing a New Habit
Get Your Mind Right
Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.
You can change. Remind yourself
Game vs. Shame - Make a Choice!
Are you going to pursue life as a game or with shame?
Self-compassion builds willpower
We win or we learn