Flashcards in History Test 7th March 2018 Deck (44):
What is History? Can I define History?
- History is the study of the past
- The present and future are affected by the past
- eg. rituals, landmarks, stories, people and everything else
Why is studying History important?
- Because it allows us to understand our past
- Because it allows us to understand our present
- Helps us learn from our mistakes
- Lets us learn from other people
What does BC mean?
What does AD mean?
Anno Domini (the year of our lord in Latin)
What does c. mean?
Circa (around about/ approximately)
How many years are in a century?
What does BCE mean?
Before Common Era
What does CE mean?
How many years are in a decade?
How many years are in a millennium?
What is chronological order?
When events are arranged in the order they happened
What are primary sources?
- Resources that are the original copy
- Primary sources of information are not a version that has been reproduced or copied
- They provide an original insight into the topic that was written at the time that the event happened
What are secondary sources?
- They are a reproduction or copy of a primary source
- They might be bias (same with primary sources)
- They could be completely fake
When only one point of view is presented and the information is only coming from one perspective
- A scientific guess
- An estimation that can be backed up with your prior knowledge or facts
Is the year 600 in the 6th or 7th century?
6th century, 601 would be in the seventh century
What century is 684 BC in?
684 BC is in the 7th century BC
What is the first major time period of history?
The Ancient World
What is the second major time period of history?
The Early Middle Ages/ Dark Ages of the Medieval period
What is the third major time period of history?
The Later Middle Ages/ High Middle Ages in the Medieval period
What is the fourth major time period of history?
What is the order of the major time periods of history?
1. The Ancient World
2. The Dark/ Early Middle Ages (Medieval period)
3. The Later/ High Middle Ages (Medieval period)
4. Modern Times
What century is the year 645 in?
The 7th century
What century is the year 2000 in?
The 20th century
What century is the year 599 BC in?
6th century BC
What century is 1900 in?
What century is 1799 in?
What century is 308 in?
When did the Middle Ages/ Medieval Period begin and end?
It began in 500 CE and ended in 1500 CE
What does circa mean?
Around about, approximately
What are some examples of a primary source?
The original Bayeux Tapestry, the original Mona Lisa, Ned Kelly’s armour and my school report
What are some examples of a secondary source?
The replica of the Bayeux Tapestry, a copy of a birth certificate, copies of paintings and books
Are sources always reliable?
How can you determine if a source is reliable?
Look at the author, see if it is telling both sides of the story
What role did the barbarians play in the decline of the Roman Empire?
The barbarians played a big role as they put a lot of pressure on the Romans through their constant attacks. There was more than one barbarian tribe.
What are some different Barbarian tribes?
Vandals, Visigoths, Huns, Angles and Saxons, Ostrogoths, Vikings, etc.
How did the Dark Ages get its name?
Historians do not know much about the Dark Ages. In some ways, this period of time has been lost.
Is “Dark Ages” an appropriate name for that time in history?
I think it is a relevant name because there were wars in that time and we do not know much about what happened
What is an emperor?
Someone who rules an empire
What is a barbarian?
“Barbarian” is a term used by Romans for the people living outside Rome
What is the Medieval period?
A time period that consists of the Early & Later Middle Ages
What is an artefact?
An object made or changed by people
A tribe that moves to get food for livestock