Flashcards in Information Technology Deck (24):
What is the role of the systems analyst in an IT environment?
Designing systems, preparing specifications for programmers, and serving as intermediary between users & programmers.
What responsibility would normally be assigned to a systems programmer in a computer system environment?
Operating systems & compilers
Company's systems development life cycle:
3) Programming/purchase of new system
A person who enters data/uses the info processed by a system?
Examples of a Decision Support System(DSS):
1) Financial modeling application
2) Sensitivity analysis application
3) Database query application
(EIS) Executive information system provides:
strategic info tailored to the needs of top management.
1) Helps executives monitor business conditions in general & assists in strategic planning to control & operate the company.
2) Provides top executives with immediate & easy access to information in a highly interactive format
3) Designed to accept data from many different sources; to combine, integrate, & summarize the data; & to display this data in a format that is easy to understand & use.
Responsibility of an MIS steering committee?
Should be formed to guide & oversee systems development & acquisition.
Importance of segregation of duties?
Good internal control requires that no single employee be given too much responsibility over business transactions or processes. An employee should not be in a position to commit & conceal fraud.
Database administrator controls:
database, design of the firm's database, maintaining security measures, & controlling data structure.
What should always be included in the system specification document for a financial report?
COBIT framework: 7 information criteria
1) Integrity - Accurate & complete
7) Effectiveness - delivered timely in a correct, consistent & useful manner
COBIT: IT Governance (5 focus areas)
1) Value delivery
2) Strategic alignment
3) resource management
4) risk management
5) performance measurement
COBIT: Delivery of IT solutions to a business
1)Process& organize = direct the IT process
2)Acquire & implement = deliver the IT solution
3) Deliver & support = deliver the IT service
4) Monitor & evaluate = ensure directions are followed
Public Key Infrastructure (PKI(
System & Processes used to issue & manage asymmetric keys & digital certificates
Security policy supporting document include:
2) Standard & Baselines
What network is typically used to effect Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)
A Value Added Network (VAN)
What best defines Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) transaction?
Electronic business information is exchanged between 2 or more businesses.
What is a benefit of using electronic funds transfer for international cash transactions?
reduction in the frequency of data entry errors.
Benefit of transmitting transactions in an electronic data?
A compressed business cycle with lower year-end receivables balances.
EDI is best described as:
Computer-to-computer transactions for direct processing.
Enterprise resource planning system is designed to:
Integrate data from all aspects of an organization's activities.
An electronic device that separates or isolates a network segment from the main network while maintaining the connection between networks is called:
-Off-site location that has all the electrical connections & other physical requirements for data processing, but does not have the actual equipment
-delivery of duplicate computer hardware
-Usually require 1-3 days to be made operational