Flashcards in Intro to NS I + II Deck (9)
What does a nerve cell do?
- Generate electrical signals
- Form complex circuits
What is a nerve cell made up of?
- Cell body (nucleus, soma, perikaryon)
- Axon (hillock, terminal)
What are protective barriers for the brain/spinal cord?
3 layers of membrane (meninges) + CSF
What is the blood-brain barrier?
Semi-permeable membrane separating blood from CSF, allows some cells to go past
What are the immune cells of the CNS?
What are astrocytes?
- Star shaped glial cells
- Create blanket around nerve cells and capillaries - form BBB
- Maintain ECF environment for nerve cells
- Control waste / nutrients / ion content
What are the two types of myelinating cells?
Oligodendrocytes = CNS myelin sheath
Neurolemmocytes/Schwann Cells = PNS Myelin sheath
How do glial cells form a sheath around each axon?
Wrap around axon and deposit multiple layers of external membrane, membrane is lipid so it's a thick fatty sheath. Impermeable to aqueous substances.