Flashcards in Introduction Deck (22):
A ________ allows for minimal teeth movement.
stable dental arch
What is a consequence of a dental arch with compromised stability?
Useless opposing teeth and tooth movements
_______ is movement of the tooth beyond the occlusal plane due to absence of an opposing tooth.
What are some consequences of supraeruption?
Plaque accumulation interproximally
Sensitiviy due to exposure of root surface
Compromised arch stability
Extraction of molars without subsequent replacement would compromise arch stability and cause _______ of the premolars.
What are the four main issues that result from prolonged absence of teeth?
2. Decreased chewing efficiency
4. Alterations in speech
What are the four options for restoring an edentulous area?
1. Implant supported FPD (implant)
2. FPD (bridge)
3. Removable Partial Denture (RPD)
4. Orthodontic treatment
What are three advantages to using implants?
- Do not remove tooth structure of adjacent teeth
- Crowns may be retrievable
- Single implant= FPD in cost
What are the disadvantages to using implants?
- Requires surgery
- Healing time ~3-6 months
- May need temporary prosthetic (flipper) $
- Requires extra planning time
- Patient must meet selection/health criteria
- Mechanical problems (keeping screws tight)
True or False: Implant screws are resistant to fracture.
If there is an anatomical limitation to implants, such as insufficient bone due to collapse after extraction, what must be done before implanting?
-Guided tissue regeneration
PLAN PLAN PLAN (time/cost/complications)
What are the five components of a Fixed Partial Denture?
3. Edentulous Ridge
What are the advantages to using a FPD?
- Cemented (feels fairly permanent)
- Capable of good esthetics
What are the disadvantages to using a FPD?
- Involve irreversible preparation of minimally restored or unprepared teeth
- Prepared teeth may be susceptible to recurrent decay
-Cost for remake
- Hygiene is important (cemented)
When are Removable Partial Dentures indicated?
- When extracted molars needed to be replaced
- When acrylic will improve the esthetics (bone loss)
- When bone loss causes loss of lip support
What are the advantages to using RPD?
-Allow for reproduction of gingiva
What are the disadvantages of RPD?
- Require an essential amount of metal framework and tooth support to replace a single tooth
- Takes 6-8 weeks to get used to the way it feels
What would be done if there was a limited amount of interproximal space at treatment site?
Orthodontic treatment or ortho+prosth treatment
One consideration in tooth replacement involves the preservation of _____ and ______ tissue health.
What is a Fixed Partial Denture?
Any dental prosthesis that is luted, screwed, mechanically attached, or securely retained to natural teeth, tooth roots, and/or dental implant abutments that furnish the primary support for the dental prosthesis
What is an important characteristic of the pontic?
It should place NO PRESSURE on the gingiva