What were the primary findings of a study by Kemp et al comparing liver sampling techniques in dogs?
JVIM 2015 29.
- Liver specimens collected by punch, cup and needle were compared to samples collected at necropsy
- Diagnosis in 66% of needle samples, 60% of cup samples and 69% of punch samples were in agreement with necropsy samples; no significant difference between the modalities
What were the primary findings of a study by Wallisch and Trepanier regarding the incidence, timing and risk factors of azathioprine hepatotoxicosis in dogs?
JVIM 2015 29.
- Hepatotoxicosis was seen in 15% of dogs, with median onset of 14 days
- Median 9-fold increase in ALT and 8-fold increase in ALP which stabilized or resolved with drug discontinuation/dose reduction
- Thrombocytopenia/neutropenia seen in 8% of dogs with CBC follow-up, with median onset time of 53 days
What were the findings of a study by Lidbury et al regarding putative precipitating factors for hepatic encephalopathy in dogs (118 cases)?
Javma 2015 247
- Looked for an association between SIRS, GI hemorrhage, dietary indiscretion, constipation, furosemide treatment, azotemia, hypokalemia, hyponatremia, alkalosis and hyperammonemia--none identified
- Treatment for presumed HE prior to hospital admission were significantly less likely to have clinical signs of disease at admission
What were the findings of a study by Greenhalgh et al regarding long term survival and quality of life in dogs with clinical signs associated with a congenital portosystemic shunt after surgical or medical treatment?
JAVMA 2014 245.