Flashcards in L1: Intro Deck (10)
What did Kinsey et al say highlighting the issue of using simple categories in experiments?
The living world is a continuum in each and every one of its aspects
What is the Kinsey Scale?
developed to gather data about gender
- supposed to be more inclusive and not just binary
0 = exclusively heterosexual
X = no socio-sexual contacts
4 = predominantly homosexual, but more incidentally heterosexual
- scale varies in extremity of statements
What makes good science?
4. Scientific method
What is validity?
- Are we measuring what we think we are measuring?
- Fundamental distinction between a construct + its measurement
eg: academic ability vs marks earned
- only have access to the measurement vs construct
What is reliability?
Do we get consistent/ reproducible results using this measurement?
Describe the scientific method
- make an observation/ propose a theory
- create a disproval hypothesis
- design a test of the hypothesis + predict what will happen
- run the test and obtain data
- interpret the data
- reach a conclusion + generate more hypotheses
What is the replication crisis?
Where findings from famous, well-known studies do not replicate
- power posing
- smiling = happier
- ego depletion
What are some reasons for the replication crisis?
- poor understanding of methods and statistics
- pressure to publish novel and exciting results
- poor research design
- Consistent use of WEIRD
What does WEIRD stand for?
White, educated, industrialised, rich and democratic countries
- a contributor of the replication crisis