L5.drug Toxicity And Teratogenicity Flashcards
In what 3 ways are allergic reactions to a drug different than toxic reactions to a drug?
- Response is unrelated to dose
- Only occurs in susceptible individuals
- Response is the same every time; unrelated to drug classification
What is the formula for calculating Therapeutic index?
TI = LD50/ED50
What are the 3 major criteria that characterize addiction?
- It is a compulsive disorder
- A substantial amount of a person’s day is spent
- Thinking about doing/using it
- Obtaining the necessary $ to continue using
- High rate of recidivism
Physical dependence to a drug often developes with prolonged use (i.e. coffee). How does the physical dependence generally present itself? Is physical dependance addiction?
Generally withdrawal symptoms present as effects opposite to that of the drug.
No, physical dependance is not a criterion for addiction.
In the first 2 weeks after contraception are birth defects likely to develop? Why or why not?
No, the early embryo is generally passed out with the menstral cycle if a defect occurs
What time period during pregnancy is a birth defect most likely to occur?
Three weeks to three months, during early organogenesis
What results from the birth defect Phocomelia? What drug causes this defect?
-Thalidamide, used as a sleeping aid, restricts blood vessel development