Why is location important for economic activities?
- Availability of a suitable site for development. How much space available for building the required facilities.
- The suitability of its situation. What it has around it. For example, you can’t build a nuclear power plant in the middle of a city.
- Transport links. How easily workers and delivery trucks can reach it.
- Availability of a suitable workforce. Whether there are enough people around the area suitable for the work.
- Local or national government incentives. Whether the government allows the development or even supports it with grants and loans.
Why are TNCs attracted to the M4 and M11 corridors?
- Good transport links to London and other major cities.
- Larger, rural, open spaces. Land is cheap and readily available and thus suitable for large warehouses and such.
- Direct connection to large container port. makes importing and exporting easier.
- Good accessibility.
- Lots of unemployment. Government gives grants to TNCs to set up branches to create more jobs in those areas.
What is the problem with TV production in the UK?
Around 65% of television is made in- house in London. This means that much of national TV only reflects lives of people in London. Some people think TV should reflect on people’s lives locally and thus want TV to be produced more locally.
Who decides where TV is produced?
- Broadcasters like BBC, Channel 4, ITV…
- Independent filmmakers.
- The governing body of national TV Ofcom.
What does Ofcom say about TV production?
Ofcom wants TV to be produced regionally as they believe not only in creating more jobs, but in viewers wanting more regional TV.
How are Ofcom supporting regional TV production?
They have put a quota on each broadcasting company on how much TV can be produced in London.
What factors affect where TV is produced?
- Location of actors. Many major actors live in London, around 40%.
- Location of writers. Many writers choose interesting places to set their story.
- Viewers. Many viewers demand more regional TV.
- Suitability of locations. Many writers choose to set their stories in London due to its diversity.
- Location of studios. Many major studios are based in London or on the outskirts of London.
How is TV changing?
The television medium is expanding rapidly. There are hundreds of channels available and the internet is becoming a growing medium for television.