What 8 things are released by the hypothalamus?
Releasing hormones: GHRH (growth hormone) CRH (steroids) TRH (thyroid hormone) GnRH (androgens)
- somatostatin (growth hormone)
What 7 things are released by the pituitary gland
- Growth hormone
- MSH (increased with primary addison’s, hyperpigmentation)
What 5 things are produced by the adrenal glands
- Androgenic precursors
What are produced by the thyroid gland and pancreas? 3 each
What is the difference between these four conditions?
- Graves Disease
When disorders are at the level of the thyroid gland, there is an inverse relationship between T3/T4 and TSH.
1. Hashimoto-autoimmune disease targeting thyroglobulin and TPO, leading the lower levels of T3/T4. This lowers the negative feedback on TSH so there is high TSH with low thyroid hormone.
- Graves disease- autoimmune disease that constitutively activates TSH receptors even in absence of TSH. Thyroid hormone is produced in really high amounts but there is negative feedback and low TSH.
Diseases at the level of the pituitary gland have a direct relationship between TSH and thyroid hormone
- Hypopituitarism: low TSH and therefore low thyroid hormone.
- Hyperpituitarism: high TSH and therefore high thyroid hormone