Flashcards in Mining and People Deck (13):
How do the miners get fresh air so deep down underground?
Through ventilation shafts and pumps
Why do they need fresh air pumped down into the shafts?
Because the air is polluted and dusty
What are some of the dangers of working under ground?
1. Rockfalls can trap and injure miners
2. Drilling is noise and can damage hearing
3. Explosions are loud and dangerous
How hot can it get underground?
50 degrees Celcius
What is one of the disease that miners can get?
Which part of the body does pneumoconiosis affect?
What causes pneumoconiosis?
When miners breath in mineral dust
Is pneumoconiosis fatal
Name another disease that miners can get?
What diseases do you get from Silicosis?
2. Lung cancer
List the 4 laws that have been created to protect the miners?
1. Area must be ventilated
2. In some places, the workers must wear oxygen masks
3. The rock face must be kept wet
4. Machines and equipment must be checked to make sure they working
List the main minerals mined in South Africa (8)
6. Iron Ore